The Bowing of Wheat


The Bowing of Wheat

We are all familiar with the parable of the wheat and the tares, but few understand the difference between wheat and tares. 

When wheat is fully mature, when wheat becomes fruitful, it bows its head from the weight. It reproduces after its kind, bread of life. The wheat bows its head down in the presence of the one with heaven's sickle having come to harvest His own from the earth.

When a tare is fully grown, it refuses to bow its head. The tare may reproduce after its kind, but its not fruitful, in fact, everything it produces is choking out life.

After I posted this note, a fb friend left this comment about physical wheat and tares as well:"Greek "Zizanion" literally means 'anti-wheat',
In the Hebrew "Zownin" means "nausea."
It is not a type of vetch, but a darnel; it is impossible to distinguish from the wheat, until the wheat's ear is fully developed, then the thin fruitless ear of the darnel is detected.
Its root gets so intertwines (intangled) with the wheat that the farmer cannot separate them, without killing up both, "till the time of harvest." The seed is like a smaller and black wheat seed, but when it is mixed with the wheat flour it causes dizziness, intoxication, nausea, and eventual paralysis."

On the spiritual level
The proud pass on arrogance to others, who wish to be worshipped as the proud are worshiped. They wish to have the "Strength" to not change their ways for anything or anyone. The tares are gathered together and burned, they are identified by not bowing their heads. They have to be burned so as not to produce more tares. Sometimes it takes a fiery trial for us to be ready to let go of the tares, just as it took 7 plagues before the Israelites were willing to leave Egypt.

Paul talks about the wheat and tares, and the struggle to be wheat and bow ones head and submit to G-d's Ways like the wheat instead standing in resistance and following our own ways like the tares:
He says that "
Romans 8:7
For the mind that is set on the flesh is hostile to God, for it does not submit to God’s law;indeed, it cannot.
Romans 8:8
Those who are in the flesh cannot please God.
Romans 7:25
Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, I myself serve the law of God with my mind, but with my flesh I serve the law of sin.

In life I have learned this lesson. If we make the head of us (the thing that inspires, lead, directs, or controls us) something that refuses to bow before G-d, then that thing will be removed from our lives, or it will be something that oppresses us and eventually leads to our destruction, as we find in Mark 7 with the workers of Lawlessness.

Instead of people wanting G-d for their King and submitting to His Law, they in their pride, demanded a mere man like themselves to rule over them (like Saul), placing man in G-d's place. G-d warned them that if they chose a king aside from Him, and a Law other than His perfect Law of Liberty, then they would find oppression.

In our lives we do the same thing. We want a crown on our own heads, and if we aren't trying to put it on our own heads, we are trying to put it on the head of some preacher, or rock star, or millionaire, or talk show host of politician or scientist,or significant other. Sometimes what is worshipped is a substance or a treasured idea.

In the end, these things are either destroyed for allowing themselves to be worshiped, like King Herod who fell dead covered in worms, or they are knocked down a notch day by day, like Pharoah who slowly witnessed his entire kingdom collapse before his eyes. As for things that we crown, they will either be completely shattered, torn from our lives, or slowly and painfully leave us disillusioned.

Since we keep placing the crowns in our life on heads that refuse to bow before G-d, we keep making the same mistake. We place the crown on the heads of those are by Biblical definitions, fools. And then wonder why nothing ever changes.

The only way to escape is to eat of the Tree of Life (Obedience to G-d's Instructions) and stop eating from the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil (deciding for ourselves what is Good and Evil, Best and Worse), or handing someone that apple to eat it for us and decide Good and Evil for us-saying that "such and such, pastor, politician, rock start, etc gave me the apple" when its time to meet the consequences of our choices.

"Same Mistake",by James Blunt
Watch and Listen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yf4xgf3gL4w&feature=related

Saw the world turning in my sheets and once again I cannot sleep.
Walk out the door and up the street; look at the stars beneath my feet.
Remember rights that I did wrong, so here I go.
Hello, hello. There is no place I cannot go.
My mind is muddy but my heart is heavy. Does it show?
I lose the track that loses me, so here I go.
And so I sent some men to fight, and one came back at dead of night.
Said he'd seen my enemy. Said he looked just like me,
So I set out to cut myself and here I go.
I'm not calling for a second chance,
I'm screaming at the top of my voice.
Give me reason but don't give me choice.
'Cause I'll just make the same mistake again.
And maybe someday we will meet, and maybe talk and not just speak.
Don't buy the promises 'cause, there are no promises I keep.
And my reflection troubles me, so here I go.
I'm not calling for a second chance,
I'm screaming at the top of my voice.
Give me reason but don't give me choice.
'Cause I'll just make the same mistake,
I'm not calling for a second chance,
I'm screaming at the top of my voice.
Give me reason but don't give me choice.
'Cause I'll just make the same mistake again.
Saw the world turning in my sheets and once again I cannot sleep.
Walk out the door and up the street; look at the stars.
Look at the stars fall down.
And wonder where did I go wrong.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Some People Change

The Olive Press